Here’s what you need to do in fourteen unique situations:
01) When you pray, be humble.
02) When you confess, be honest.
03) When you do penance, do it indefatigably.
04) When you eat, be sensible.
05) When you sleep, be disciplined.
06) When you are alone, be faithful.
07) When you are with others, be discreet.
08) When someone teaches you good manners, be receptive.
09) When someone reprimands you for your mistakes, be patient.
10) When you do something bad, ask forgiveness immediately
11) When you are full of self-absorbed pride, fear for the health of your soul.
12) When you are sad, trust in God completely.
13) When you are doing manual work, work hard.
14) because hard work drives off every evil thought.
— Mechthild of Magdeburg (1208-1282)
[IMAGE: Mechthild von Magdeburg by Peter Paul Metz and photographed by Andreas Praefcke who placed it in the Public Domain. Wikimedia Commons.]